1. To penetrate with a sharp edge; strike a narrow opening in.
2. To separate into parts with or as if with a sharp-edged instrument; sever: cut cloth with scissors.
3. To sever the edges or ends of; shorten: cut one's hair.
4. To mow, reap, or harvest: cut grain; cut grass.
5. To fell by sawing; hew.
6. To have (a new tooth) grow through the gums.
a. To form or shape by severing or incising: a doll that was cut from paper.
b. To form or shape by grinding: cut a diamond.
a. To form by penetrating, probing, or digging: cut a trench.
b. To exhibit the appearance or give the impression of: cuts a fine figure on the dance floor.
a. To separate from a main body; detach: cut a limb from a tree.
b. To separate from a group: cut a calf from a herd.
c. To discharge from a group or number: had to cut six players from the team.
10. To pass through or across; cross: a sailboat cutting the water.
11. Games To divide (a deck of cards) into two parts, as in completing a shuffle or in exposing a card at random.
12. To reduce the size, extent, or duration of; curtail or shorten: cut a payroll; cut a budget; cut the cooking time in half.
a. To remove or delete: cut a line from a poem.
b. Computers To remove (a segment) from a document or graphics file for storage in a buffer.
14. To lessen the strength of; dilute: cut whiskey with water.
15. To dissolve by breaking down the fat of: Soap cuts grease.
16. To injure the feelings of; hurt keenly.
17. To refuse to speak to or recognize; snub: cut me dead at the party.
18. To fail to attend purposely: cut a class.
19. Informal To cease; stop: cut the noise; cut an engine.
a. To strike (a ball) so that it spins in a reverse direction.
b. To throw or hit (a ball) on a curving trajectory.
a. To perform: cut a caper.
b. To make out and issue: cut a check to cover travel expenses.
22. To arrange or reach (an agreement).
23. Slang To be able to manage; handle successfully: couldn't cut the long hours anymore.
24. To stop filming (a movie scene).
a. To record a performance on (a phonograph record or other medium).
b. To make a recording of (a song, for example).
26. To edit (a movie or audio recording).
27. Vulgar Slang To expel (a discharge of intestinal gas).
28. To injure (oneself) by penetrating the skin with a sharp object.